Friday, May 27, 2011

A Crow Came and Sat at My Window: Writing Challenge from Goggles and Lace

I sat quietly starring out my window, the morning sun just peeking out over the trees across the street. I sighed and picked up my coffee, hoping today would be easier. I cracked my neck and looked towards the computer screen, watching the emails filter into my inbox. A flutter of wings and my attention is drawn back to a more traditional window. A large, black crow sat placidly on the window sill, seeming to watch me as I watched him. I'd always heard that crows were hyper intelligent, and this one seemed to be observing some form of lesser species out of curiosity. I gripped my coffee cup as I stood slowly, walking towards the window. The bird didn't move.

“Hello.” I said softly and watched the birds movements. He was calm, merely shaking out his wings before tucking them back at his sides. I stopped at the coffee table and picked up a couple of nuts, walking forward just a couple more steps. The bird watched, turning it's head to the side and looked at my hand. I placed the nuts down further on the window sill and backed up, taking a seat on the edge of the coffee table. The bird hopped over to the nuts and inspected them, picking one up with it's beak to eat it.


“Hello Madam” I swore I had simply lost my mind, and now I felt myself staring at the shiny black beast, jaw slack. “Please it's rude to stare”

“I'm... I'm sorry.” I said and closed my mouth. I picked up my mug and took a sip while the bird finished the nuts, and hopped over to the edge, staring at me.

“Where to begin...” The bird mused, A voice scratchier and higher pitched than I would have ever imagined from such an elegant looking bird.

“At the beginning I would imagine” I said, still disbelieving of the fact that I was having a conversation with a crow.

“What about the end?”

“Why would you begin at the end?” The bird seemed to chuckle and look out the window, before looking back to me.

“Wouldn't you like to know...” The bird's eyes seemed to sparkle with mischief as I leaned forward, hoping it would end well. I've always liked a happy ending...

No comments: