Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Writers Toolbox: Journaling Rediscovered


A while back, I spoke to the importance of journaling. It's good to keep track of current thoughts, character sheets, etc ad nauseam. Then a funny thing happened tonight. I was cleaning out a box of books, looking for a project folder I'd kept from college and there, staring me in the face was my "little black book". It didn't contain the phone numbers of countless boys/girl/whatever from college but rather something much more valuable (albeit a little odd).

Contained within the pages of this book are descriptions of everyone I knew in 2007. All of my close friends, and those that I cared for most. I had songs, keywords, physical descriptions and even doodles that reminded me of them. These weren't characters I created but a snapshot in time for the people I cared for most. There were some reminders of a friends tragic fall from a beautiful relationship, that jogged memories of the following months, trying to make sure the silent warrior was ok. The description sounds cliche, but Jared was just that.

There were also some descriptions that i look back on and have to laugh. I was so far off from who they would turn out to be. Sel for example. He's done almost a 180, aside from a few physical characteristics and some inner rage.

The amazing thing however is how all of these descriptions jogged a metric shit ton of memories of exactly how everyone was and reminded me how four years can change everything. So think about it. What do you want to remember four years from now? Perhaps journaling isn't so bad after all.

Project Idea:
Go outside, sit down and describe your surroundings, taking note of current weather conditions. Is today, normal, or abnormal for the season? What is everyone like today? Jotting down these notes will help add a sense of realism to your project.

No comments: